Thursday, October 22, 2009

The great debate: heels vs. flats

Ok, so I ran across this post on Jezzy (www.jezebel.com) today that totally represents my daily dressing debacle. I have always admired my friends that can wear--and painlessly survive in--sexy stilettos. I will just never be one of those people. I obviously wear flats more often than any other alternative. But why do I feel like I am not “dressed up” when I don’t wear heels?

I am an advocate of heels at work for the sole reason (no pun intended) that they make you feel more powerful, but my heels are a mere 2 inches, which is not exactly unbearable. I guess you could say that I grew up in a time where comfort just happened to be in style. Jelly shoes, sam and libby's, and clunky mary janes were all the rage in my childhood and adolescence. It wasn't until I reached college that I realized how ill-perpared my feet and ankles were to handle the stress of cross-campus high-heel wearing. I have tried and failed for years.

Finally, I have learned to deal with finding and investing in bearable, yet cute, heels. I have settled on the fact that I will never be like my friends who can wear 4 inchers. So, why do I still feel the need to try them on at the store, just to check? Our culture has taught us that the addition of a 3-4 inch rod under our heels make us feminine and sexier. All I know is, that when I put on that leopard print peep-toe with a 3 and half inch heel, there is no stopping my confidence. Well, except the pain that will emerge in 2 hours....

Check out the Jezzy post:
http://jezebel.com/5387639/on-fashion-statement-heels-vs-feel+good-flats

No comments:

Post a Comment