Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Recommended Read: The Importance of Being Kennedy

I consider myself a fairly avid reader when I get in the groove (vacations, holidays, etc.). I typically gravitate towards suspense and chick lit, depending on my mood. The only things I refuse to read are really sad novels, such as the works of Nicholas Sparks, and self-help books. Some of my all-time favorites, though, have one common theme. They are stories about some time in history. I just find the settings fascinating--and, I love learning about note-worthy people throughout time. Hence, I found this book that I read over the holidays particularly interesting:


Presidents' lives have always attracted my attention, whether it be Lincoln, Nixon, Jefferson, or in this case Kennedy. This book is special because it intertwines a fictional base with facts about the Kennedy family. It reveals alot about the personalities of all 9 Kennedy children and their parents and grandparents. Particularly, it focuses on the childhood and young adulthood of Kathleen "Kick" Kennedy and the oldest daughter Rosie. All is told from the perspective of a Kennedy nanny, Nora Brennen. While I can't say this book was spellbinding, thrilling, or hopeful, it was filled with dry humor and enlightenment of the Kennedy family. I definitely recommend reading it.

p.s. It kinda bothers me that Teddy is not in the photo on the cover. Why not choose a portrait taken once they had all been born?

No comments:

Post a Comment