Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Merry Christmas to all! Well, all those that are here legally.

I highly encourage you to read this artlicle from this Sunday's Tennessean:

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20091213/NEWS01/912130366/Nashville-charities-reject-immigrants-kids

It discussed the registration system that families must go through to apply for aid during the Holiday season. Programs such as The Angel Tree and Toys for Tots require social security numbers of both children and their parents in order for a family to be considered eligible for assistance. While I understand the notion of "taking care of our own first," I am not sure that I totally agree with turning families away when they just need a few kiddie toys. I was pleased to learn that these agencies do, in fact, cross-check amongst themselves to make sure families or individuals are not abusing the system and turn the guilty away for fraud. There is at least some justice in that so that resources can be stretched to as many down-on-their-luck-ers as possible. But, there is just something that doesn't sit well with me when it comes punishing innocent children in order to restrict their parents from any societal benefit because of a questionably unethical choice that they made in the past. I am happy to know that there are programs out there catering to the needs of this special minority; and, while I understand the rationale of the Salvation Army and the USMC, I wish that some of these mainstream givers could give a little more unconditionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment