Friday, December 18, 2009

Emily LOVES her musicals!

So, with the continuing downturn of Broadway greats, I have spent quite a bit of time thinking about what musicals may fill my next trip to the Northeast. Obviously, now is not the time to plan a rousing week of Broadway shows, but I am hopeful for the future. This got me thinking about all the classic--and not-so-classic--musicals, and how I think some are massively overlooked...and how I think some are ridiculously overrated. I thought I'd share my thoughts on a mere sliver of some of the well-known musicals.


Emily's top Tier

Les Miserables (war, love, history, the most amazing songs you will ever hear. You will never want it to end.)

Hairspray (As a slightly larger gal myself, I just love those quirky Turnblads! Good Morning Baltimore!)

Mamma Mia (Abba hits intertwined with picturesque scenery of the Greek Isles--very tough to beat)

The Sound of Music (an all-time fave since I was a youngster. How can you argue with Liesl, Friedrich, Louisa, Brigitta, Kurt, Marta, and Gretl? Not to mention the 1965 movie release with Julie Andrews!!)

Legally Blonde (Bend and Snap! Perfect musical for the 20-30-something women!)

Phantom of the Opera (unbeatable drama and musical performances)


Heartwarming Classics--a very close second tier

Annie (orphans just make your heart melt...)

My Fair Lady

The King and I (Shall we dance? Oh, so beautiful!)

White Christmas (it's hard to beat a holiday hit)

West Side Story (very catchy plot, tunes, and dance)

42nd Street (tap dancing, need I say more?)


Musicals that I consider great for their musical contributions--not so much their plots

Chicago (Fantastic music and choreography, but a bit of a downer)

Guys and Dolls

Oklahoma

Wicked (I know I may get shot on this one. I have never really been a fan of the Wizard of Oz, and, while this is a creative twist on the old classic, it is still pretty creepy. The music, however, is superb!)


Musicals for the quirky souls out there (or great for when you are just having a wacky day)

Hair (The flower child inside of me cannot begrudge the 60s, even if the hair was pretty grotesque. Still some great music and harmony, as you would expect from anything 60s.)

Annie Get Your Gun

The 25th Annual Putnum County Spelling Bee (This is the funniest musical you will ever see, no joke!)


Biblical-Themed (may not be the most popular, but if you are a Christian, it's hard to say they are no good, haha)

Jesus Christ Superstar (The theme song will be stuck in your head the rest of your life...)

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat


Disney classics that I haven't seen as musical productions, yet. Somehow, I don't think I am missing that much, regardless of decent reviews

The Lion King (I have heard remarkable things about the costumes....)

Beauty and the Beast


Finally, those that I find freakishly overrated

Cats (They are CATS.)

The Producers

Avenue Q (PUPPETS.)

Cabaret (Let's be honest, it is just a bit on the dark side.)

Into the Woods

Little Shop of Horrors (That whole man-eating plant thing just creeps me out. It was really hard for me to buy into that whole story.)


Some of the shows I am looking forward to seeing that have been out a while already

9 to 5 (Who doesn't love a Dolly hit?)

Jersey Boys

No comments:

Post a Comment